Joe's Imperial Roleplay Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion

+4
Vagrant Hero
Zuko Darkborn
The Clans
Offizier Necro
8 posters

Page 2 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Well Zuko's race is certainly gonna have fun. The Call of the Swarms indeed.

Joe Joerson
Admin

https://stellarisroleplay.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Excuse me?

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Relevant Here.

Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:Relevant Here.

He's a damn witch!

The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Theclans wrote:He's a damn witch!

A very informative statement. Gives a full view of what you mean.

Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:
Theclans wrote:He's a damn witch!

A very informative statement. Gives a full view of what you mean.

It's my go-to phrase for accurate predictions and phenomena that blows my mind:P Just find it funny that a science fiction author wrote a book foreshadowing the arrival of one of the empires.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:08 pm

I am now more confused than ever.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Theclans wrote:It's my go-to phrase for accurate predictions and phenomena that blows my mind:P Just find it funny that a science fiction author wrote a book foreshadowing the arrival of one of the empires.

Ah, in the appropriate context that makes much more sense. However thinking about it, I am actually curious about that book. Even if it is fictional wonder how they think such a situation would turn out...

...In other concerns since the Xengari take up a larger volume of space than some of the other empires I would like to state that I am fine with any explorations vessel "discovering" Xengari space, such as a mining station, patrol ship or other such things.

Caspoi wrote:I am now more confused than ever.

How so?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Caspoi wrote:

I am now more confused than ever.

Character wrote a science fiction book about encountering a hive mind and hopes that they'll never encounter one. Meanwhile you have a hivemind floating around in space with a bunch of ships full of bugs.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:47 pm

Now I see, I had not read the second post properly.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:24 pm

So the Civil war looks interesting. Wonder if anyone will get the time to interact with the different groups before it is all over...
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:37 pm

I am currently updating it once per day, that should give time for other factions to start meddling in it while not drawing it out unnecessarily.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Discussion - Page 2 Empty Concerning Asimov

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 pm

I would like to request all of your opinion on the matter concerning the Asimov update.

While most things wont affect the Roleplay much because of it's abstracted nature some things will and do.

The balances and addition of traits.

Asimov Update wrote:* Nonadaptive trait Trait Points cost changed from -1 to -2
* Very Strong trait Trait Point cost reduced from 4 to 3
* Weak trait now also reduces mineral output by 5%
* Venerable trait effect on leader lifespan reduced from 120 to 90
* Added Fleeting trait that reduces leader lifespan by -15
* Added Deviants trait that increases ethic divergence by +15%

As the traits are part of the process of making an Empire, and the addition and balancing could effect species very much we can do several things.

First would be to allow those who want to to change their traits and relevant materials, as little roleplay has been done this might not impact or require major changes.

Second we stay pre-asmiov meaning that the current races stay the same and new roleplayers use the pre-asmiov rules

Third we could have the current races stay the same but have new members use the new rules when creating their species.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Joe Joerson on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:20 pm

The only real change for the roleplaying is the point cost and the only one of these currently used is very strong for my hunter caste swarmlings and my species is pretty liberal in the use of Points anyway, considering the addition of "quirks" and how there are no "hard" but only "soft" effects from the traits I Think that the whole forum treats traits pretty liberally. Thus I opt for option Three, which seems the easiest.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:41 pm

I don't see much of a problem with the Asimov update. Is anyone actually affected to where they'll have to rejigger their traits?

Also I like the addition of Weak, it gives my space borne traders an additional biological reason for being traders instead of just cultural ones.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:48 pm

Caspoi wrote:The only real change for the roleplaying is the point cost and the only one of these currently used is very strong for my hunter caste swarmlings and my species is pretty liberal in the use of Points anyway, considering the addition of "quirks" and how there are no "hard" but only "soft" effects from the traits I Think that the whole forum treats traits pretty liberally. Thus I opt for option Three, which seems the easiest.

Followed my train of thought but wanted others' opinions.

Theclans wrote:I don't see much of a problem with the Asimov update. Is anyone actually affected to where they'll have to rejigger their traits?

Also I like the addition of Weak, it gives my space borne traders an additional biological reason for being traders instead of just cultural ones.

I want to reply to this but the second line is confusing me, could you clarify?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:

Theclans wrote:I don't see much of a problem with the Asimov update. Is anyone actually affected to where they'll have to rejigger their traits?

I want to reply to this but the second line is confusing me, could you clarify?

I'm making a second empire of traders that have the Weak trait, so the addition of the 5% mineral loss that goes with Weak is a happy accident for me.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Theclans wrote:I'm making a second empire of traders that have the Weak trait, so the addition of the 5% mineral loss that goes with Weak is a happy accident for me.

Ah thank you for the clarification.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Oh damn, they got rid of embassies in 1.2. Well that takes some of the fun out of diplomacy. Not to mention new ways have got to be found to keep fallen empires off our backs.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Theclans wrote:Oh damn, they got rid of embassies in 1.2. Well that takes some of the fun out of diplomacy. Not to mention new ways have got to be found to keep fallen empires off our backs.

I mean Roleplay wise, Embassies could still exist, easier communications and all that.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Lot easier.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:08 pm

As for the "old versus new", I'm fine with any option. All my traits are unaffected. I'd suggest options 1 or 3, though. No sense in making newcomers dig through ancient texts trying to find the legends of point costs.

Theclans wrote:Oh damn, they got rid of embassies in 1.2. Well that takes some of the fun out of diplomacy. Not to mention new ways have got to be found to keep fallen empires off our backs.
Damn, that kinda sucks. R.I.P., free relations boost.
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:35 am

I don't think any of my traits have changed anyways.
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:56 am

Personally, I'd rather do away with the point costs entirely and just let people choose traits. As long as it is RP'd very well, then I see no reason why a certain species can go over this arbitrary limit. And if someone spams a ton of negative traits, and perhaps uses some creativity for other bad traits, that's their choice. The point being that even if the option is available, some of us will still handicap ourselves by applying our own limits, and Theclans can always tag someone if he thinks they are being unreasonable (due to traits not being properly explained or something.) Just my 2 cents.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:59 am

I agree with Vagrant Hero and alluded to it in my own post, it seems a bit odd that while there are soft limits on everything else the traits have hard limits despite their usage being "soft".

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

Vagrant Hero wrote:Personally, I'd rather do away with the point costs entirely and just let people choose traits. As long as it is RP'd very well, then I see no reason why a certain species can go over this arbitrary limit. And if someone spams a ton of negative traits, and perhaps uses some creativity for other bad traits, that's their choice. The point being that even if the option is available, some of us will still handicap ourselves by applying our own limits, and Theclans can always tag someone if he thinks they are being unreasonable (due to traits not being properly explained or something.) Just my 2 cents.

I had similar thoughts last night when finalizing the traits of my trader empire, but most of the traits I wanted to add could be explained by their circumstances and culture. They live on ancient ships and have no homeworld, so it makes sense to make them Nomadic, right? I mean, their whole existence is flying from one system to the next. Not necessarily. If the species wasn't nomadic before they achieved civilization, then they are nomadic by circumstance, not because of a mental hangup ingrained in their DNA.

Traits represent the genetic makeup of a species, you can grandfather some features normally caused by traits if it's part of their culture. However, traits are a bit looser here. Caspoi has a race of bug people that have wildly different traits for each caste in the hive, and they actively experiment and muddle around with genes. And, right now, the leadership and colonials of the Yuxu have had their Decadence cured through gene therapy, however most of Yuxun still remains untouched.

Use of traits as the system exists is encouraged, but can be easily sidestepped and worked around through explanations and Quirks. Also I really like how the males of my new species are now accidentally Very Strong due to the increased point value of Non-Adaptive and being restricted to the four trait limit, so I'm pretty biased.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:21 am

On the subject of genetic traits, I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of the current species has selected resilient as one of their picks. This is obviously a sign from the Divine that there will be interminable amounts of conflict in the future.

So, to sum up. Traits are genetic, quirks are due to circumstance, auto-domestication, culture, etc.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:30 am

Everyone has Resilient? Well, planet battles are just going to be one giant meat grinder now. And yes, Traits should be genetic. If you want more of them add in a Quirk like Caspoi did, though a case can be made for Space Borne or whatever I named the bombed out proto-fallen empires, to have more traits from gene tailoring tech.

Quirks can also be genetic if there is no Trait that accounts for it. Quirks are a stand in for anything that can't be derrived from glancing at Ethos, Traits, or the Empire trait scores, but also gives a bit of a crunch benefit.

Last edited by Theclans on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:31 am

I Think that the rampant militarism is as much a sign of that. Only Zuko's species does not fit into the mold.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:32 am

Theclans wrote:Everyone has Resilient? Well, planet battles are just going to be one giant meat grinder now. And yes, Traits should be genetic. If you want more of them add in a Quirk like Caspoi did, though a case can be made for Space Borne or whatever I named the bombed out proto-fallen empires, to have more traits from gene tailoring tech.

Quirks can also be genetic if there is no Trait that accounts for it.

Zuko's species does not.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next