Joe's Imperial Roleplay Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion

+4
Vagrant Hero
Zuko Darkborn
The Clans
Offizier Necro
8 posters

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: Discussion

Post by Caspoi Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:06 am

I would say about a hundred seeing as any more would imply a larger ship than what is fitting for the smallest ship class. If we are to compare it to other sci-fi universes (namely Star Wars) it would be larger than a ship like the Millenium Falcon and more in the style of Tantive IV (the first ever seen ship in the movies that is conveniently also classed a corvette) or perhaps slightly smaller (it should really vary from species to species). The smaller ones could probably be crewed by around forty to fifty without any real problems while the largest ones to still qualify as corvettes could have around a hundred and fifty crewmembers.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:06 pm

Caspoi wrote:I would say about a hundred seeing as any more would imply a larger ship than what is fitting for the smallest ship class. If we are to compare it to other sci-fi universes (namely Star Wars) it would be larger than a ship like the Millenium Falcon and more in the style of Tantive IV (the first ever seen ship in the movies that is conveniently also classed a corvette) or perhaps slightly smaller (it should really vary from species to species). The smaller ones could probably be crewed by around forty to fifty without any real problems while the largest ones to still qualify as corvettes could have around a hundred and fifty crewmembers.

Alright now would you have any strong feelings about the other ship classes and crew size?

Joe Joerson
Admin

https://stellarisroleplay.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:42 am

Not really, although they should increase exponentially to the point that battleships have massive crews that dwarf any other.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:24 am

Caspoi wrote:Not really, although they should increase exponentially to the point that battleships have massive crews that dwarf any other.

Alright then. Very Happy

Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Not that it is likely to matter much but if your species was given a choice between one of the different ascension paths which would they choose.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mthis Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:27 pm

For the Septhi, prop Transcendence.
Mthis
Mthis
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:47 pm

For the Xengari I would have to say the Biological path and Engineered Evolution. Primarily because it fits in so well with the Xengari ideal of Superiority. However given the extensive use of robotics one would assume that the Xengari might wish to traverse the path of Synthetics, this would not be the case. I hope to illustrate why in character soon.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:44 pm

I think that each one of my species would choose each one of the paths, and no cokkie if you manage to figure out which is which.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Caspoi wrote:I think that each one of my species would choose each one of the paths, and no cokkie if you manage to figure out which is which.

Khendros-Synthetic
Nakturian-Ascendance
Swarm-Biological

And I don't need your cookies. I can make my own. Razz
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:32 pm

What does everyone think about the new Dev diary?

Also side-note anyone care to speculate on Orbital habitats?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 am

I am worried that authoritarianism will turn out to be the slavery ethos and that alone what with how apparantly there is a faction that tries to introduce slavery and how purges can now only be on a species wide level, meaning that you will only really use it if you are the sort that wants to keep an entirely pure empire. All of the new specializations and options are good though.

I suppose that orbital habitats will mainly be space stations that you can hold pops in, possibly an upgraded form of a frontier stationn.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 am

Caspoi wrote:I am worried that authoritarianism will turn out to be the slavery ethos and that alone what with how apparantly there is a faction that tries to introduce slavery and how purges can now only be on a species wide level, meaning that you will only really use it if you are the sort that wants to keep an entirely pure empire. All of the new specializations and options are good though.

I suppose that orbital habitats will mainly be space stations that you can hold pops in, possibly an upgraded form of a frontier stationn.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been sick.

I mean on the purges it is hard to justify the idea of only purging a certain percentage of a population.

I think the orbital habitats might make building tall a much more interesting proposition. As having them as an extra area for both building ships and a part of space infrastructure that will need to be protected.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

It shouldn't be too hard to justify saying something along the lines of "decimate the population of this designated planet". While magically knowing the ethos of the pops would be harder (but not impossible) one can simply designate geographical rather than demographical boundaries for the purges.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Caspoi wrote:It shouldn't be too hard to justify saying something along the lines of "decimate the population of this designated planet". While magically knowing the ethos of the pops would be harder (but not impossible) one can simply designate geographical rather than demographical boundaries for the purges.

My point about justification was not about physical how to do or the necessary orders for an action but instead the why of that action should be taken, and be able to be taken, as a stable part of an empire's policy. As well I am still not sure if I understand your point earlier about the "entirely pure empire" thing, could you explain it more? Very Happy

Passage Reference:
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Ethnical purity. My point is that only those who toleratey no xenos in the empirewhatsoever are really favoured by this new system while all the other mass murderers get shafted (from those who may engage in a bit of purging to keep the xeno population in check but ultimately perfer ti have them serve the empire to those who do not purge based on ethnical divisions.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 pm

Caspoi wrote:Ethnical purity. My point is that only those who toleratey no xenos in the empirewhatsoever are really favoured by this new system while all the other mass murderers get shafted (from those who may engage in a bit of purging to keep the xeno population in check but ultimately perfer ti have them serve the empire to those who do not purge based on ethnical divisions.

Could you not just use the new population controls to keep the population in check?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:47 am

You could but that is only if the damage has already been done (if you suddenly get a lot of new xeno pops through conquest for example) and you wish to conduct a "light genocide" (because killing a few billions of them is light) to make sure that they are not too large for your own species to contain while not completely removing a useful workforce.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Caspoi wrote:You could but that is only if the damage has already been done (if you suddenly get a lot of new xeno pops through conquest for example) and you wish to conduct a "light genocide" (because killing a few billions of them is light) to make sure that they are not too large for your own species to contain while not completely removing a useful workforce.

It makes sense for the suitably sociopathic I suppose. By the way how large by proportion would you say is too large for you own species to contain?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:03 pm

If your own species is at least a majority it would probably be fine to most, although some may follow the "spartan model" and have up 80-90 % of the population be of a nonaccepted sort. Although you really do have to follow system of society similar to the Spartan one with most of the primary population being trained in the ways of war while the slaves are kept as far away from potential weapons as possible for this to be feasable and in a more "normal" society you would probably have to limit yourself to 60-75 % depending on how well treated they are. If they are just treat more as secondary citizens then it would not be too problematic to have them constitute a large part of the population but if they are more akin to slaves then you can only rely on your core population in case if a rebellion and while they need not outnumber them they at least have to posses to superiority of training from being soldiers rather than rebels to compensate for this.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Caspoi wrote:If your own species is at least a majority it would probably be fine to most, although some may follow the "spartan model" and have up 80-90 % of the population be of a nonaccepted sort. Although you really do have to follow system of society similar to the Spartan one with most of the primary population being trained in the ways of war while the slaves are kept as far away from potential weapons as possible for this to be feasable and in a more "normal" society you would probably have to limit yourself to 60-75 % depending on how well treated they are. If they are just treat more as secondary citizens then it would not be too problematic to have them constitute a large part of the population but if they are more akin to slaves then you can only rely on your core population in case if a rebellion and while they need not outnumber them they at least have to posses to superiority of training from being soldiers rather than rebels to compensate for this.

Thank you for that. I simply wasn't sure where the ballpark figures were.

You have a new ideas on orbitals? Anyone else as well?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:45 am

It may become annoying if the AI build an orbital in an inconvenient place, not that they seem to have many drawbacks. Other than that they certainly seem to be meant mainly for those who have run out of planets to colonize considering their lack of natural resources, high cost and relatively low population size means that if you can choose between building one of them and colonizing a planet you will almost always choose to colonize. Those "special buildings" might compensate for that though.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Caspoi wrote:It may become annoying if the AI build an orbital in an inconvenient place, not that they seem to have many drawbacks. Other than that they certainly seem to be meant mainly for those who have run out of planets to colonize considering their lack of natural resources, high cost and relatively low population size means that if you can choose between building one of them and colonizing a planet you will almost always choose to colonize. Those "special buildings" might compensate for that though.

I mean It does really seem perfectly designed for those Empires that are much more pacifistic and don't conquer all their neighbors once space has been filled up to a degree. As well that energy and research bonuses might be worth it in addition to just more room, its at least something you can spend minerals on later on besides building another doom fleet. Razz
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 pm

But why would you ever want to spend minerals on anything but your doom fleet, unless it is a way to accumulate even more minerals to use.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Caspoi wrote:But why would you ever want to spend minerals on anything but your doom fleet, unless it is a way to accumulate even more minerals to use.

Well obviously you use it to conquer an Empire and then throw it away when outdated, easier to just build a new fleet after all.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:41 pm

I have been thinking about this as both the member count and politics stabilizes, how about a map?

I mean me and Mthis have already created some general approximation of location between the Xengari and the Septhi, that is all I really am thinking about as specific system by system might not be the best approach but general borders I could see being very helpful.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:49 pm

The Cirnii would probably be located between the Khendros and the Xengari. Ususally in my mental projection of the map I think that the quicker two species encountered one another the closer they are.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Caspoi wrote:The Cirnii would probably be located between the Khendros and the Xengari. Ususally in my mental projection of the map I think that the quicker two species encountered one another the closer they are.

First I will provide a rough relative size comparison

Spoiler:

Second so speaking of your mental location would this be a good representation of the general locations if not anything specific or particularly accurate?

Spoiler:
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:21 pm

More or less, I did imagine the Khendros in the top left and the Septhi in the top right though. I also want to point out (I think I have mentioned it someplace else) that the size of the Khendros would on a galaxy map would be disproportioanlly high compared to their amount of planets due to the vast distances between each one of them.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Caspoi wrote:More or less, I did imagine the Khendros in the top left and the Septhi in the top right though. I also want to point out (I think I have mentioned it someplace else) that the size of the Khendros would on a galaxy map would be disproportioanlly high compared to their amount of planets due to the vast distances between each one of them.

This closer?

Spoiler:

Admittedly I would assume that the Khendros would control territory in bases of power around their planets, and presumably any wormhole stations and not project power across vast distances like other Empires that might travel by Hyperdrive or Warp (though admittedly Hyperdrive would be a little distorted by the paths as well).
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mthis Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:38 am

I think i stated, and i imanaged the Septhi starting at the edge of an outer-arm of the Galaxy, growing along the arm. Using their Warp-Drives to move up it. This has led to them creating an isolated but safe empire, which just grew, and grew, until they encountered their first other Sentient. The Khendros.
Mthis
Mthis
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next