Joe's Imperial Roleplay Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion

+4
Vagrant Hero
Zuko Darkborn
The Clans
Offizier Necro
8 posters

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussion Empty Discussion

Post by Caspoi Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Best to restart this topic.

By the way am I allowed to give my species more genetic traits considering how that is what they are specialized in?

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Discussion Empty Re: Discussion

Post by Offizier Necro Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:43 pm

I would guess that it would be considered genetic modifications and would be okay, but I'd wait for Theclans to give his opinion.

Anyways, unrelated: Joe, could you please temporarily unlock my Crucible of Freemen thread in the Aftermath roleplay or just quote it here for me to quote from? I don't want to manually re-add all the links in it by hand or risk missing one.
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 pm

I'll just leave this here, there are a lot of links in this, I have no idea how you have patience.

Can Quote from here:
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

https://stellarisroleplay.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 am

Joe Joerson wrote:I'll just leave this here, there are a lot of links in this, I have no idea how you have patience.
Thanks man! Posted my app with all the information transferred over. I even put links in IC posts (e.g. when music is playing), so it's not a surprising thing on my end. I put a lot of research into IC matters at times.

For example: The "knight armor" in there is actually a practical thing and not just a gimmick, as "strap a big metal plate to their chest" was the only form of body armor (other than helmets) back then and was exclusively reserved for specialized soldiers like shock troops or paratroopers. The reason that knight armor went out of style was because it was insanely expensive to make because of the craftsmanship and guns making it so that knights and musket-armed conscript were comparable in military might, but a conscript with a gun and some ammo is VASTLY cheaper to get en mass than intricately hand-crafted set of knight armor and an entire lifetime of training.

However, what if a full set of knight armor was cheap? What if it was feasible to give random recruits full sets of knight armor? With the industrial revolution making mass production of parts cheap and interchangeable parts making mass production of multi-component items like rifles and automobiles cheap, it would be fully feasible for knight armor to be an option for World War equipment if everyone had identical physique (The fluff reasons for this being the case is currently a secret to be discovered).

In addition, knight armor is effectively almost weightless to the wearer due the carefully-designed joints transferring the weight of the upperbody down the joints and to the ground, making the only effort necessary on the user being the simple task of standing up. Uranium is extremely good for armor and is even used in modern tanks like the Abrams, so the effective weightlessness of knight armor combined with the density and strength of uranium means that this would be the best possible armor before the invention of ceramics and plastics. Aluminum and steel "knight armor" would serve different purposes, such as cheaper armor or, if given proper modifications, "space combat gear".
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Looking into Knight armor and making it out of depleted uranium, it could work. I mean normal steel knight armor isn't actually that heavy (15-25 kg on average), admittedly wouldn't stop a bullet from a rifled gun. However that depleted uranium armor might, or maybe just be strong enough to deflect doesn't really matter.

To be able to field a fairly large number of "Knights" with such depleted uranium armor would require a fairly developed nuclear industry, and such product would be limited initially until a large stockpile had been made. Likely only used for special forces, tanks, ammunition and the like. Could still use steel platemail for normal infantry but in any large scale war would likely just be detrimental. Only useful in melee or other situations and takes away steel, and other valuable wartime materiel from building tank and trucks.

Kevlar would be better for common infantry but is in our timeline invented in 1965 when looking for stronger tire materiel.

Take what you will from my ramblings.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:Looking into Knight armor and making it out of depleted uranium, it could work. I mean normal steel knight armor isn't actually that heavy (15-25 kg on average), admittedly wouldn't stop a bullet from a rifled gun. However that depleted uranium armor might, or maybe just be strong enough to deflect doesn't really matter.

To be able to field a fairly large number of "Knights" with such depleted uranium armor would require a fairly developed nuclear industry, and such product would be limited initially until a large stockpile had been made. Likely only used for special forces, tanks, ammunition and the like. Could still use steel platemail for normal infantry but in any large scale war would likely just be detrimental. Only useful in melee or other situations and takes away steel, and other valuable wartime materiel from building tank and trucks.

Kevlar would be better for common infantry but is in our timeline invented in 1965 when looking for stronger tire materiel.

Take what you will from my ramblings.
What I'm doing with my nation is using natural uranium, which is still 99.3% of the "good" isotope of DU and 0.7% of the nuclear power/weaponry isotope, compared to the 99.7%/0.3% of DU. DU has 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium, but natural uranium isn't very radioactive to begin with.

Radiation Level:

There'd still be an issue with cancer and birth defects, but these guys don't know about the long-term effects of radiation yet and still use asbestos, so uranium knights are fair game to them in that regard. However, it'd still probably be fairly expensive to use on every last grunt and it'd be more useful elsewhere as you said so I'll keep that in mind. I definitely intend on it being used by heavy shock troopers, since the weight-carrying capacity bonus would allow some nifty stuff.

Part of my gimmick is that my guys don't really have much in the way of plastics yet, which is partly because it takes a long time for crude oil (to make petrochemicals from) to reach the conditions for forming and it seems like life has been spread artificially given how rare the conditions for life forming are IRL compared to its abundance in Stellaris. Ethanol crops, ho!
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Well that changes it a little.

I mean not that much but a little. They would still likely alloy it with minute amounts of titanium and various other elements, (About 2% not much compared to the vast majority of the piece,) to strengthen it to be able to effectively deflect and/or stop AP rounds. Likely would wear some kind of cloth between the armor and the wearer of such, for padding in case of hits if nothing else.

In any case I think everyone will be happy to be able to exercise the right of calling the humans crazy monkeys or some variation of such. tongue

And hey maybe someone will get the chance to show the other use of Uranium to the humans sometime... Twisted Evil
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:Well that changes it a little.

I mean not that much but a little. They would still likely alloy it with minute amounts of titanium and various other elements, (About 2% not much compared to the vast majority of the piece,) to strengthen it to be able to effectively deflect and/or stop AP rounds. Likely would wear some kind of cloth between the armor and the wearer of such, for padding in case of hits if nothing else.
Yeah, they'd probably alloy it with something but I don't know enough about metallurgy to say what. But I already had padding in mind, as that was already used by knights back in the medieval ages under their metal armor. Same principle as bicycle helmets with their hard inside and padded inside. Not sure if I'll use cloth or asbestos for the padding, since asbestos might be too insulative and cause heat stroke if covering a whole body in the stuff.

Joe Joerson wrote:In any case I think everyone will be happy to be able to exercise the right of calling the humans crazy monkeys or some variation of such. tongue
Yup yup, that was exactly what I was going for. I'll be happy to see such remarks in the future. Humanity, fuck yeah. "I'm not a crazy monkey... I'm a mad scientist"

Joe Joerson wrote:And hey maybe someone will get the chance to show the other use of Uranium to the humans sometime... Twisted Evil
Sadly I can't see any form of power other than nuclear fission that my guys could use for starships. I had to bump up the tech level slightly higher than I wanted because solar panels aren't practical for the size of Stellaris ships (especially in combat) and internal combustion engines wouldn't be practical for obvious reasons. IRL we had nuclear bombs before nuclear reactors, but I think I'll keep actual nuclear bombs in the experimental stage for Haven's humanity. I'm not entirely sure about this either, as the starting missiles in Stellaris are described as high-yield nuclear warheads, so I'm not sure how crippling it will be to be using conventional weaponry instead of nuclear weaponry. Melting through ships with sticky metal as hot as the surface of the sun is pretty neat, but is it as powerful as HIGH-YIELD NUCLEAR WEAPONS? Eh. Decisions decisions. Currently thinking of going with more conventional missile spam. Quantity over quality.

But yeah, I have fun stuff lined up in my attempts to make up for a lack of high-tech stuff.
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Would likely use titanium or steel depending on whatever is less limiting. I originally said titanium because that is what is often used with deplete Uranium today but I could see steel being used if insufficient titanium mining and capabilities exist.

One of the major issues Knights had was during long terms of fighting, heat would be a major killer, using normal cloth padding so as to prevent any serious breaks from the heavy hits on their armor. Cloth is useful because it also keeps sweat from leaving allow for more heat transference, depends on the battlefield I suppose.

So in terms of the Roleplay, should we start? Or not yet? Opinions?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 pm

I Think that the sooner we start the better.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Caspoi wrote:Best to restart this topic.

By the way am I allowed to give my species more genetic traits considering how that is what they are specialized in?

Oh yeah, if they're specialized in it slot it in as a Quirk.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:Would likely use titanium or steel depending on whatever is less limiting. I originally said titanium because that is what is often used with deplete Uranium today but I could see steel being used if insufficient titanium mining and capabilities exist.
I think I'll just neglect mentioning it in canon since the exact composition wouldn't matter a ton and I don't feel comfortable enough with my level of knowledge.

Joe Joerson wrote:One of the major issues Knights had was during long terms of fighting, heat would be a major killer, using normal cloth padding so as to prevent any serious breaks from the heavy hits on their armor. Cloth is useful because it also keeps sweat from leaving allow for more heat transference, depends on the battlefield I suppose.
I just had the thought of soaking the cloth/asbestos so that it would keep the wearer cool for a good amount of time, but then I realized that would be a mildew nightmare. They'd have to remove and clean the padding often if they did that, which would make it need a lot more between-battle maintenance. Hm.

Joe Joerson wrote:So in terms of the Roleplay, should we start? Or not yet? Opinions?
I don't see why not, unless we're waiting to invite more people or something.
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:39 pm

We can start whenever y'all get ready. It don't make no difference to me what the world thinks about us, baby.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Discussion Empty Hear ye, Hear ye, the Admin speakith

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:49 pm

So I guess...

I Declare the Second Roleplay, Brave New World Roleplay, Open!

Or something because I can apparently do that because of Admin powers.

But no Like I wasn't actually stopping anyone so yeah.

Seriously lets just go write up whatever and post it instead of writing and reading awkwardly long and unnecessarily grandiose proclamations by myself.

Anytime now, I will stop typing awkwardly long posts.

At some point.

In the future.

I will do that.

Yes.

That is a thing that will happen.

I am just gonna stop now.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:15 am

Alright, so I got my first IC post up. I hope it was the right length, quality, and all that, but I feel that it was a bit long of a post for something like "We did literally one jump". It's an introduction to what will probably be the two most important characters, which was the true purpose, but it's also a jumping point if anyone wants to make contact with the crazy apes.
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:07 am

Also, everyone make sure you include what civilization type you are in your Empire posts. Whether you're peaceful expansionists or what have you.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:14 pm

How is time going to work in this?
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm

We could have that one real life day is a month. Some exceptions may appear when there are diplomatic talks of course as those rarely take half a year to finish.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Presumably the same in Aftermath, without any real rhyme or reason? We're all fairly active, we could go as fast or as slow as we want.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Well, that makes sense, but I had to make sure. Especially in early cases like this, were most people have presumably not met each other yet, it would be strange.
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Well Zuko's race is certainly gonna have fun. The Call of the Swarms indeed.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Excuse me?

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Relevant Here.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:Relevant Here.

He's a damn witch!
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Theclans wrote:He's a damn witch!

A very informative statement. Gives a full view of what you mean.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next