Joe's Imperial Roleplay Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion

+4
Vagrant Hero
Zuko Darkborn
The Clans
Offizier Necro
8 posters

Page 3 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Discussion

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

Vagrant Hero wrote:Personally, I'd rather do away with the point costs entirely and just let people choose traits. As long as it is RP'd very well, then I see no reason why a certain species can go over this arbitrary limit. And if someone spams a ton of negative traits, and perhaps uses some creativity for other bad traits, that's their choice. The point being that even if the option is available, some of us will still handicap ourselves by applying our own limits, and Theclans can always tag someone if he thinks they are being unreasonable (due to traits not being properly explained or something.) Just my 2 cents.

I had similar thoughts last night when finalizing the traits of my trader empire, but most of the traits I wanted to add could be explained by their circumstances and culture. They live on ancient ships and have no homeworld, so it makes sense to make them Nomadic, right? I mean, their whole existence is flying from one system to the next. Not necessarily. If the species wasn't nomadic before they achieved civilization, then they are nomadic by circumstance, not because of a mental hangup ingrained in their DNA.

Traits represent the genetic makeup of a species, you can grandfather some features normally caused by traits if it's part of their culture. However, traits are a bit looser here. Caspoi has a race of bug people that have wildly different traits for each caste in the hive, and they actively experiment and muddle around with genes. And, right now, the leadership and colonials of the Yuxu have had their Decadence cured through gene therapy, however most of Yuxun still remains untouched.

Use of traits as the system exists is encouraged, but can be easily sidestepped and worked around through explanations and Quirks. Also I really like how the males of my new species are now accidentally Very Strong due to the increased point value of Non-Adaptive and being restricted to the four trait limit, so I'm pretty biased.

The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:21 am

On the subject of genetic traits, I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of the current species has selected resilient as one of their picks. This is obviously a sign from the Divine that there will be interminable amounts of conflict in the future.

So, to sum up. Traits are genetic, quirks are due to circumstance, auto-domestication, culture, etc.

Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:30 am

Everyone has Resilient? Well, planet battles are just going to be one giant meat grinder now. And yes, Traits should be genetic. If you want more of them add in a Quirk like Caspoi did, though a case can be made for Space Borne or whatever I named the bombed out proto-fallen empires, to have more traits from gene tailoring tech.

Quirks can also be genetic if there is no Trait that accounts for it. Quirks are a stand in for anything that can't be derrived from glancing at Ethos, Traits, or the Empire trait scores, but also gives a bit of a crunch benefit.

Last edited by Theclans on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total

The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:31 am

I Think that the rampant militarism is as much a sign of that. Only Zuko's species does not fit into the mold.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:32 am

Theclans wrote:Everyone has Resilient? Well, planet battles are just going to be one giant meat grinder now. And yes, Traits should be genetic. If you want more of them add in a Quirk like Caspoi did, though a case can be made for Space Borne or whatever I named the bombed out proto-fallen empires, to have more traits from gene tailoring tech.

Quirks can also be genetic if there is no Trait that accounts for it.

Zuko's species does not.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 am

Caspoi wrote:
Theclans wrote:Everyone has Resilient? Well, planet battles are just going to be one giant meat grinder now. And yes, Traits should be genetic. If you want more of them add in a Quirk like Caspoi did, though a case can be made for Space Borne or whatever I named the bombed out proto-fallen empires, to have more traits from gene tailoring tech.

Zuko's species does not.

Quick, everyone dogpile Zuko so our elite can have the fanciest ships and guns and the swankiest of uniforms and polished brass buttons.

Last edited by Theclans on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:41 am

Theclans wrote:
Caspoi wrote:

Zuko's species does not.

Everyone dogpile Zuko so our elite can have the fanciest ships and guns and the swankiest of uniforms and polished brass buttons.

Hooray!

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:49 am

Resilient might actually suit my species, despite it not being militarist. This is for the sole reason that their ocean planets are tough nuts to crack, but still, this is not due to any genetic reason, more because of ship technology.
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:53 am

Zuko Darkborn wrote:Resilient might actually suit my species, despite it not being militarist. This is for the sole reason that their ocean planets are tough nuts to crack, but still, this is not due to any genetic reason, more because of ship technology.

Another ocean species may be able to assault it normally. Though I can tell you that the Yuxu would take one look at it and be completely perplexed at the logistics to get troops down there, and even more perplexed at figuring out how to chase after sea ships.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:36 pm

The only thing Zuko has going for his species, is that they are probably masters of the Art of War. In which case, the inevitable victory of his "artists" will be swift and merciless.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

I'd say that the only thing going for them is that they will not necessarily be attacked as often as the other species, who are more likely to be at war with one Another.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Theclans wrote:Another ocean species may be able to assault it normally.

*Xengari engage face concealing masks and bulky combat armor.

Caspoi wrote:I'd say that the only thing going for them is that they will not necessarily be attacked as often as the other species, who are more likely to be at war with one Another.

The Xengari are very egalitarian. When they decide to kill all aliens they will kill all aliens equally.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

https://stellarisroleplay.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

It seems that the Xengari can communicate their intent just fine, if you know what I mean.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 pm

The best future Earadan course of action: Make aliens slay the Xengari.
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:
The Xengari are very egalitarian. When they decide to kill all aliens they will kill all aliens equally.

He he, true but won't they prioritize species that are already attacking them?

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm

Caspoi wrote:He he, true but won't they prioritize species that are already attacking them?

Well yes, but those are more defeating then killing every last one. Really what they want to do beat up everyone and take their stuff, then maybe later when they are bored of that kill everyone. Oh there likely will be some that they don't care to attack for whatever reason. However the best form of diplomacy is gunboat diplomacy.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:However the best form of diplomacy is gunboat diplomacy.

Best form of diplomacy are open table talks with a gun taped under the table and a sniper on a neighboring hillside, or an assassin in the vent.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:07 pm

I would argue that the best form of diplomacy is when the opposing diplomat is in your stomach and you as such don't have to listen to him

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Whatever your goals are, expect a lot of gifts. In modern Eogon science fiction, Eogons giving gifts to aliens is one of the most common trope.
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Zuko Darkborn wrote:Whatever your goals are, expect a lot of gifts. In modern Eogon science fiction, Eogons giving gifts to aliens is one of the most common trope.

Ten points to Eogon House.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Zuko Darkborn wrote:Whatever your goals are, expect a lot of gifts. In modern Eogon science fiction, Eogons giving gifts to aliens is one of the most common trope.

Do you want food? At any rate you should go and see our First Contact thread.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Eogon diplomacy (good or not) is heavily based on entertaining the opposition, and granting them gifts that they want to see. The idea is that proud nationalists often love hearing heroic tales of their champions, religious people art regarding their religion, xenophiles artifacts of aliens, and for militarists they have plenty of art. Of course, they are eager to find all of these (which is shown in the diplomacy stats.)
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Zuko Darkborn wrote:Eogon diplomacy (good or not) is heavily based on entertaining the opposition, and granting them gifts that they want to see. The idea is that proud nationalists often love hearing heroic tales of their champions, religious people art regarding their religion, xenophiles artifacts of aliens, and for militarists they have plenty of art. Of course, they are eager to find all of these (which is shown in the diplomacy stats.)

These guys are tailor-made to appeal to Yuxu customs.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Theclans wrote:

Best form of diplomacy are open table talks with a gun taped under the table and a sniper on a neighboring hillside, or an assassin in the vent.

A fine example of Yuxu "diplomacy." What could possibly go wrong?
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:51 pm

Vagrant Hero wrote:
Theclans wrote:

A fine example of Yuxu "diplomacy." What could possibly go wrong?

I think this is a better example of a Yuxu trade deal. From 1:04:28-1:13:00 Or if you want to get exact times, 1:04:28-1:06:16, 1:06:40-1:08:00, 1:08:26-1:09:04, 1:09:33-1:11:03, 1:11:33-1:11:42, 1:12:00-1:13:00
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:01 am

Well so far we have the Swarm and the Artists having fun times together. With the Swarm seeming to be in the mood of "We're sorry, all units are busy now. Please try your request again later. We value your devourability and wish to eat your people at a later point."

Meanwhile in the other fun times of alien species. We have three species and empires beating a fourth group of the same species of one the empires. Pirates. While at the same time each being wary and hesitant of each other being ready to strike the other two. Great times.

What fun and peaceful things did I miss? tongue
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clans Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:05 am

Just the resident human oddball captain playing ironic music during a battle, a military officer reining in an overly excitable and defensive rogue scientist, and Captain Jingo hydra.
The Clans
The Clans
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:19 am

Theclans wrote:Captain Jingo hydra

We don't want to fight but by jingo if we do...

We've got the ships, we've got the men, and got the money too!

Just such a good quotes. Captain Jingo Hydra indeed. I love that so much and want so badly for it to be actually attributed to him, or at least the Xengari. Thinking about it Offizier Necro's Herald, he might be able to call the Xengari that. So good, I am going to write that down somewhere.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 am

Meanwhile, none is expecting what will soon happen - the artists eating the swarms.
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:42 am

Zuko Darkborn wrote:Meanwhile, none is expecting what will soon happen - the artists eating the swarms.

Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next